A Window Between Worlds (AWBW) presents Art in the Afternoon, the organization’s 13th annual family-fun festival on Saturday, May 2, at the Venice Skills Center in Venice, CA.All proceeds benefit AWBW’s healing art programs for women, men and children surviving violence and trauma.Hosted by star of The Disney Channel’s Dog with a Blog G. Hannelius, the event features signature AWBW art workshops, Color Me Mine ceramic painting, Disney Channel Celebrity Meet & Greets, delicious food including an In-N-Out Cookout (12-2pm), musical performances, live and silent auctions, face painting, and more! Adult tickets are $55 each and include two complimentary tickets for kids 12 and under; teen tickets are just $20. Purchase tickets by calling 310-396-0317 or click here. Sponsorship opportunities also available.A Window Between Worlds is a Venice-based nonprofit dedicated to using art as a healing tool to empower and transform individuals and communities impacted by violence and trauma. With 23 years of experience working in the field of domestic violence, the demand for AWBW’s healing art interventions has grown beyond the shelters to reach new populations of trauma survivors. They have begun work with returning combat veterans and are now building toward serving even more survivors seeking a future free from violence. Art is proving time and again to be an effective tool for healing and change, and it is thanks to supporters that AWBW is able to offer trainings at little or no cost to their partners. As a recent Children’s Windows participant recently shared, “I feel proud to share my story and maybe it will help someone else when they see my art.”Event Sponsors: Google LA, NBC/Universal, Whole Foods Venice, Hoop it Up, SuperCool Creamery, Hansen’s Cakes, Color Me Mine, Sprinkles Cupcakes, In-N-Out® Cookout, Alternative Apparel, Cool Cups, Hansen’s Natural Drinks.Auction Donors: Disneyland Resorts, Nintendo, Los Angeles Dodgers, Adidas, Circus Vargas, ElectroBike.For more information on Art in the Afternoon or A Window Between Worlds, please visit www.awbw.org, call 310.396.0317 or email [email protected]
APTN National NewsThe candidates list for national chief of the Assembly of First Nations continues to grow.For the first time in the AFN’s history, three Aboriginal women are aiming for the top spot.Leaving many to wonder what kind of challenges would lay ahead for a female national chief.APTN National News reporter Meagan Fiddler has this story.
DAWSON CREEK, B.C. — Peace River South MLA Mike Bernier is now officially the BC Liberal Party’s opposition critic for Oil and Gas Development.Bernier, who previously served as Health Critic under interim party leader Rich Coleman and as Education Minister for two years under former Premier Christy Clark, was named oil and gas development critic by BC Liberal leader Andrew Wilkinson earlier this week. The South Peace MLA says that both he and Skeena MLA Ellis Ross will be questioning Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources Minister Michelle Mungall in the Legislature.Bernier said that Ross, who served as Natural Gas Development Minister under Clark for less than a month before the BC Liberals lost a confidence vote, will continue to serve as critic of all LNG-specific and downstream natural gas issues. Bernier says that with him serving as critic of the upstream side of things means that the pair will form a quite a powerful combination. “It’s basically a perfect partnership for the North here,” said Bernier. “You have where the gas is being produced and extracted in the Peace Region with myself, and then Ellis on the coast where facilities can be built. My job now will be to challenge the provincial government and look at any regulations or policies they’re putting in place to make sure they’re actually going to work for the region.”Bernier will begin his stint as oil and gas critic in the Legislature when the House resumes the Spring Session in just over a week’s time.
HUDSON’S HOPE, B.C. – Constable Bill McKenna with the Hudson’s Hope RCMP published a policing report which said that police responded to 45 calls for service over the past four weeks.During the month of July, Hudosn’s Hope RCMP issued 70 motor vehicle act warnings and violation tickets.On July 25th, RCMP responded to a complaint of a vehicle speeding in a construction zone which nearly hit one of the flaggers. The vehicle was located and the driver was issued several violation tickets for driving without due care and attention as well as distracted driving as he was using a cell phone when passing by police. Anyone with information regarding current or past investigations can contact the Hudson’s Hope RCMP directly at 250-783-5241 or anonymously through Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477. Visit http://crimestoppersnebc.ca/ for advice on submitting tips online and to browse the area’s “most wanted” page. On August 3rd, RCMP was called to a collision on Highway 29 where a truck rear-ended a boat and trailer being towed by another truck. The boat was dislodged from the trailer and was sent flying across the opposite lane into the ditch. The drivers of both trucks were treated for minor injuries. The driver of the offending vehicle was issued a violation ticket for driving without consideration for others.On August 4th, RCMP stopped a vehicle and determined the driver had consumed enough alcohol to warrant a 3-day driving prohibition.On August 6th, RCMP attended a collision involving two riders on a motorcycle. The driver was suspected to have consumed alcohol and refused to provide a breath sample. The driver was issued a 90 day driving prohibition and the motorcycle was impounded for 30 days. Both riders were treated for minor injuries and taken to the hospital.On August 14th, RCMP responded to a condensate tanker roll over. The truck and trailer were engulfed in flames though the driver was able to the driver was able to get away from the vehicle before first responders arrived. The driver was taken to the hospital with serious burn injuries while the collision is still under investigation. RCMP are still seeking the public’s assistance in identifying a suspicious white Ford F-150 with racing stripes as the vehicle is believed to be linked to many recent break and enters.RCMP is also reminding drivers that school zones will soon be in effect from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on weekdays and to drive the appropriate speed limit. Drivers found cruising over the limit could receive tickets from $196 to $253 along with 3 demerit points.
“Regional Districts have been asking for this. It’s one more way we are delivering results that empower communities, bringing more people online to be involved in, and benefit from, today’s digital economy. The changes build on the significant investments our Government has already made to connect people and communities by increasing their access to high-speed internet service.”Updates to the Local Government Act respond to needs identified by local governments through resolutions endorsed by the Union of B.C. Municipalities.For more information, you can visit Northerndevelopment.bc.ca. VICTORIA, B.C. – The Provincial Government is making expansions to high-speed internet for residents living in Rural B.C. by investing $50 million.According to the Government, improved connectivity due to updates to the Local Government Act will provide more options for people living in rural and remote areas to connect online.Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Selina Robinson, says these changes will give Regional Districts an additional tool to help expand high-speed internet to under-served areas.
New Delhi: Delhi BJP president Manoj Tiwari on Sunday said that they are in the favour of adopting the policy of Haryana government in which there is work guarantee up to 60 years for Guest Teachers of Delhi. Delhi BJP OBC Morcha held a meeting of the representatives of Maurya, Saini, Kushwaha and Shakya Communities where Tiwari raised the issue of Guest Teachers in Delhi and said that they are in favour of adopting the policy of Haryana Government and their stand is quite clear on it.”Modi Government has taken care of all the sections and has worked to develop the country with the help of public welfare schemes like Jandhan Yojna for bank accounts, Ujjwala Scheme for liberating women from the suffocating life, Swachh Bharat Abhiyan for constructing 10 crore toilets in villages and cities. All these have been completed by Central Government under the leadership of Modi,” he added.
New Delhi: India’s top shuttlers, including Saina Nehwal, have endorsed sport’s new format – AirBadminton, saying it has the potential to provide an alternate career to retired professionals. Outdoor badminton is one of India’s favourite recreational sports and there are places in the country where it is a money-making option too. Airbadminton was globally launched at Guangzhou last week by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) with new dimensions of the court and an innovative shuttlecock called Airshuttle. Airshuttle, the most important component of the format, has been designed to have similar trajectory, acoustics and feel to that of a traditional indoor shuttle. It would have minimal impact from side and axial wind and limited influence from humidity variations. Olympic bronze medallist and former world number one Saina said Airbadminton will further promote the sport, taking it to different corners of the world. “In India we mostly get introduced to this sport as an outdoor game only. We played it with our parents and friends outside the house. This is a great initiative by BWF to bring it to the fore and promote it,” Saina said. “I’m sure it will encourage amateur sportspersons to participate more and game’s popularity will swell world over.” HS Prannoy, a 2017 US Open champion, believes Airbadminton can provide an alternative career to the retired international and domestic players. “Indoor badminton is much more physically demanding, so players after retiring can keep playing Airbadminton and keep having an alternative career. “There is a lot of money in outdoor badminton. Especially in Kerela, I have seen players going to different places and playing every night and earning good money, so it is a great initiative,” he said. Pranoy has memories of watching his father play outdoor badminton during his childhood. “My dad used to play a lot of outdoor badminton. About 300-400 people would come to watch and it was fun as a kid to see such interest in the sport. The popularity of indoor badminton is less compared to outdoor because in villages, they only know about outdoor badminton,” he said. Parupalli Kashyap, the 2014 CWG champion, remembers how he struggled to control the shuttle when he played a promotional game with compatriot B Sai Praneeth against the backdrop of a snow-clad Mt. Titlis during the Swiss Open in March. “It was windy and it was extremely difficult to play but I think in conditions which are not too windy, it will be fun. It is a good experiment, said Kashyap, who played outdoor badminton at inter-school level. The BWF is working with sports manufacturers to produce and rollout the AirShuttle, which can be used for competition in winds up to 12 kilometers per hour. Airbadminton can be played in different environments — on grass in parks, on sands in beaches and the streets and bylanes, so infrastructure won’t be a hindrance for people interested in the sport. “In small towns where there is no infrastructure, outdoor badminton will be more popular. But some sort of support from association will be needed to make it popular, said Sai Praneeth, a 2017 Singapore Open Champion. “It will take some time for people to take it up but it surely has the potential, you never know it can be a big thing in future.” An important element of Airbadminton is the dead zone — a two-metre area in the front of the court — where if the shuttle lands, it will be deemed a fault. Kashyap feels the format may also help in unearthing the next big talent. “The game is the same, so if more people play the sport, you might spot a good talent, who goes on to play the traditional indoor game and does well for India,” said Kashyap. BAI secretary Ajay Singhania said it is a great initiative. “Badminton is the most played sport and we have all mostly played it outside. This new initiative will not only encourage more people to take up the sport but this version of the game will also generate more fun and excitement. BAI will be keeping a tab on how the response is,” he said. BWF has also launched a new format, called Triples, where it’s match between a team of three players each with presence of, at least one female. The players are not allowed to hit successive returns.
FiveThirtyEight Embed Code More: Apple Podcasts | ESPN App | RSS | Embed The women’s side of the French Open has seen plenty of upsets. Only three of the 10 top-ranked players made it through the third round, with high-profile competitors such as No. 1 Naomi Osaka and No. 10 Serena Williams among them. After her loss to 20-year-old American Sofia Kenin, Serena Williams, who has battled persistent injuries this season, was asked if she still would have entered the Open had she known the outcome. She said she would never have believed that she would be out in the third round. We’ll look at how Serena’s expectations fair against the growing parity in women’s tennis and how sharply this contrasts with the predictable cast of characters on the men’s side.The MLB draft is underway, and as Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen describes the experience, “the draft is very risky — it has always been risky.” The Hot Takedown team breaks down how this draft differs from other major sports, plus the strategies and trends exhibited in the early rounds.Finally, our Rabbit Hole of the Week looks at the Women’s College World Series. A dive into the key players and their professional pursuits lands us deep into the surprising world of Olympic demonstration sports.Here’s what we’re looking at this week:Justine Henin, the last “Queen of Clay.”Last year, our colleague Tom Perrotta wrote about the increased parity in women’s tennis, and it’s never felt more timely.ESPN’s Jeff Passan breaks down the convoluted MLB draft.Some MLB hopefuls are opting to play abroad rather than participate in the draft.Rachel Garcia’s impressive performance in the semifinals against the University of Washington.You won’t want to miss these videos of skijorning and korfball.
The Italian football national football team extended their winless streak to five games after their 1-1 draw against Ukraine in an international friendly on Wednesday night.The Azzurri, fielding an experimental line-up, produced a fine first half display but couldn’t secure the victory as Andriy Shevchenko’s Ukraine earned a well-deserved away draw.Italy head coach, Roberto Mancini made changes to the team that 1-0 to European champions Portugal during last month’s UEFA Nations League game in Lisbon.The former Manchester City manager started the game with the attacking trio of Juventus’ Federico Bernardeschi, Lorenzo Insigne of Napoli and Fiorentina’s Federico Chiesa, and would have been impressed with their first half display, as the combined to create a number of chances but couldn’t find a way past Andriy Pyatov in Ukraine’s goal before half time.Bernardeschi got the ball roiling for the former world champions when his low strike found its way past Pyatov to hand the Italians the lead in the 55th minute.Serie A Betting: Match-day 3 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Considering there is a number of perfect starts so early in the Serie A season, as well as a few surprisingly not-so perfect ones….However, the joy of the Italian supporters was short lived, as Ruslan Malinovskyi levelled seven minutes later with a low shot which Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma appeared to see late. The visitors almost took the lead when Malinovskyi hit the crossbar with a curling free kick.The game took a short break in the 43rd minute for one minute’s applause in memory of the 43 people who lost their lives when a motorway bridge collapsed in the city on Aug. 14.“We deserved to score a couple of goals tonight, we have to improve on this aspect and continue on this path,” said Mancini, according to ESPN.“We need to be more incisive.”
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp College of The Bahamas and University of The Bahamas alumni in Turks and Caicos invited to lunch mixer University of The Bahamas Seeking To Strengthen Connections in TCI Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppNassau, Bahamas, November 10, 2016 – COB almost there as hundreds turn out this morning for the plaque unveil and march on UB Charter Day and President’s Inauguration set for the Thomas A Robinson National Stadium.The parade from the new college welcome site to the stadium is filmed by Magnetic Media; joy unspeakable. UB pride is high with professors, lecturers, faculty, staff, students, clubs, area schools, alumni and Government officials dancing, cheering and chanting on this momentous day in Bahamian history. The COB to UB grandest event of all is televised live.#UB4m #UBproud #magneticmedianews Related Items:#magneticmedianews, #UB4me, #UBproud Recommended for you