Sacking Dick Advocaat would not solve Sunderland’s problems, according to Micky Gray.The Black Cats remain without a win this season after being thrashed by Manchester City in the League Cup on Tuesday night.That has turned up the heat on Advocaat and the Dutchman is the bookies’ favourite to be the first Premier League boss to be shown the door this term.But, according to Gray, the club’s struggles run far deeper than the manager and he believes the 67-year-old remains the right man for the job.“The performances just seem to be getting worse and worse,” said the former Sunderland star.“There are players at that football club that have been there too long. They are comfortable because they know they are going to play on a weekly basis without pressure.“The last players to come through the ranks at Sunderland were Jordan Henderson and Jack Colback. They used to give youngsters an opportunity. “Now, it is such a strange situation. You speak to some of the fans and they can’t put their finger on their problems.“I used to think it was the manager’s fault but I can’t put it down to Dick Advocaat because I think he is the right man. “For some reason, it frightens the players to play at the Stadium of Light.”
Pupils from Niall Mor walking back to happiness!Killybegs children have proved they just LOVE to walk in all weathers!Pupils and teachers from Niall Mor National School in Killybegs celebrated St Valentine’s by holding a ‘Love to Walk to School Week’ from 10th to 14th February.Under the guidance of Green-Schools co-ordinator Geraldine McGuire the whole school community are working hard to travel to school in a sustainable way as part of their Green-Schools Travel programme. The aim of the walking week was to encourage more active travel to school instead of travelling in the car every day. This benefits the environment, the community’s health and makes the road outside the school much safer.Daily monitoring by the Green-Schools Committee has recorded a significant increase in walking, cycling and Park and Stride where families are parking the car further away from the school and walking part of the way.“We were delighted to see so many parents and children walking and cycling to school this week even in the snow and hail. A big thank you to all those that made such a fantastic effort” acknowledged Lisa McDaniel, Green-Schools Education Officer with An Taisce Green-Schools. KILLYBEGS KIDS PROVE THEY LOVE TO WALK IN ALL WEATHERS! was last modified: February 12th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:KillybegsNiall MOr National Schoolwalking
TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say River Plate midfielder Palacios eager to delay Real Madrid moveby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveRiver Plate midfielder Exequiel Palacios is eager to delay his move to Real Madrid.Having just won the Copa Libertadores in fine style, the youngster is in no rush to move to Europe.”My idea is to stay at River a little longer, enjoy this moment and take advantage of everything that comes along,” he said.”I’m very happy and enjoying where I am.”Leaving aside what was just achieved, we always need to compete for more here.”
More Jamaicans are seeking healthcare at clinics, with statistics showing an increase in visits to such facilities last year while hospital visits decreased. More Jamaicans are seeking healthcare at clinics, with statistics showing an increase in visits to such facilities last year while hospital visits decreased.Of the 2,971,271 visits made to public health facilities between January and December 2017, a total of 1,724,859 were made to public health centres, representing a 10 per cent increase over 2016.This is according to information in the ‘Vitals: A Quarterly Report of the Ministry of Health’, tabled in the House of Representatives on June 5 by Portfolio Minister, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton.The report indicates that some 620,058 persons went to the accident and emergency/casualty departments of hospitals, which was a seven per cent decrease in visits compared to January to December 2016.Almost half (45 per cent) of the visits to the accident and emergency/casualty departments were for complications related to hypertension, diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular disease and renal disease.Paediatric cases and surgical cases accounted for 14 per cent and eight per cent of visits, respectively.The document also noted that 626,354 persons went to the hospital speciality outpatient departments. This represented a four per cent decrease in visitors compared to January to December 2017.“The increase in visits to health centres and the decrease in visits to accident and emergency/casualty department was a desirable change and is believed to be partially attributable to the reduced waiting time initiative, which was implemented in September 2016,” the report stated.Overall, visits to public health facilities between January and December 2017, increased by three per cent over the same period in 2016. This is according to information in the ‘Vitals: A Quarterly Report of the Ministry of Health’, tabled in the House of Representatives on June 5 by Portfolio Minister, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton. Of the 2,971,271 visits made to public health facilities between January and December 2017, a total of 1,724,859 were made to public health centres, representing a 10 per cent increase over 2016. Story Highlights
The Los Angeles Police Memorial Foundation (LAPMF) will hold a special benefit concert on Tuesday March 6 at Avalon Hollywood.The evening will begin with a performance by LA-based rock musicians Heaven & Earth. Steven Tyler and the Loving Mary Band will close the evening out.“While participating in the Memorial Foundation’s Charity Golf Tournament I had the opportunity to get to know families that lost a loved one,” says Stuart Smith, Heaven & Earth. He continues “They lost a spouse or a parent over something so stupid as a traffic stop. My heart went out to them. I am very proud to be able to help out the men and women of the LAPD that do this every day for so little and are generally very unappreciated. Steven Tyler also wanted to do more to help,” said Smith.Proceeds from this event benefit LAPD employees and their immediate family members who have been afflicted by a tragedy including being injured or killed in the line of duty. The Foundation takes care of the widows and orphans of Officers when they may not have any other means. The Foundation helps ensure the children of Officers killed have the funds available to go to college, and helps with medical costs and other life necessities. Since it’s inception in 1972, the Los Angeles Police Memorial Foundation has granted over $18 million without any direct taxpayer money.For over forty-five years, LAPMF has held star-studded fundraising events with a diversity of celebrities coming together to support LAPD Officers and their families who have experienced unforeseen catastrophic circumstances including illness, injury and death. After the benefit concert, the foundation will continue the tradition with a celebrity golf tournament in June and a celebrity poker tournament in October 2018.Celebrities that have supported LAPMF throughout the years include: Jack Nicholson, Jerry West, Wayne Gretzky, Mark Wahlberg, Elton John, Sugar Ray Leonard, Vin Scully, Dennis Quaid, Larry King, Kelsey Grammer, Eddie Van Halen, Samuel L. Jackson, Richard Dreyfuss, Chris O’Donnell, George Lopez, Tommy Lasorda, Oscar de la Hoya, Rihanna, Ray Romano, Betty White, Andy Garcia, Luke Wilson, Gene Simmons, Don Cheadle, Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell, Marlon Wayans, Backstreet Boys, Paula Abdul, David Hasselhoff, James Gandolfiini, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Bob Newhart, Telly Savalas, Johnny Grant, and many more.Tickets: LAPMFBenefitConcert.eventbrite.com.Further information about the Los Angeles Police Memorial Foundation: LAPMF.org or 213.847.4240
Advertisement Advertisement Facebook MacKenzie Porter- “About You” (Big Loud Records): This country singer/songwriter from Western Canada is now kicking up her bootheels in Music City to fine effect.She is the first Canadian signing to top Nashville-based label Big Loud Records, and this is the first project that the label is focusing on north of the border. This new cut (out today) is produced by hitmaker Joey Moi (Florida Georgia Line, Dallas Smith, Nickelback), and suggests Big Loud has backed a winner.On this track, Porter displays a supple and convincing vocal style, while the lyrical content is subtly subversive. It begins by stressing that this is not just another of those feel-good party songs that dominate the country genre these days. “It ain’t about turn it up to 10, a party for your friends, it’s about lessons learned and getting what you deserve,” she declares, in what emerges as a post-break-up song. Moi adds the big production sound he specialises in, making this a radio-friendly contender. Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Twitter
APTN National NewsA key source of money for First Nations in New Brunswick is up in the air.The province is deciding whether tax dollars collected on reserve should be shared with the bands.Mi’kmaq and Maliseet leaders say that losing that revenue is a step in the wrong direction.APTN’s Trina Roache has this story.
VICTORIA – Allowing people to sue for pain and suffering in car accidents has been viewed as a fundamental principle in British Columbia, but that changed Tuesday when the government joined Canada’s other provinces in limiting payouts to some crash victims because of a financial crisis at the public insurance corporation.Attorney General David Eby said a payment cap of $5,500 for pain and suffering on minor injury claims is a necessary component of the NDP government’s plan to bring back financial stability to the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, which faces a projected net loss of $1.3 billion this year.The changes will save up to $1 billion annually, Eby estimated.Eby would not comment directly on the possibility of further premium hikes this year after an increase of 6.5 per cent last year.“It’s going to take some time to turn around the problems with ICBC,” Eby said at a news conference. “I acknowledge there is no silver bullet that will solve things immediately in terms of a problem that’s been building for years, unaddressed.”Eby said the limit on minor injury claims would not take effect until April 2019 as part of legislation to be introduced by the government.Without the NDP’s plan, Eby said drivers could face average increases in their premiums of $400 or more a year.The cost of minor injury claims is placing the largest strain on insurance rates, Eby said, with payouts hitting a record $2.7 billion in 2016, an increase of 80 per cent since 2009. Eby said payouts for minor injury claims have increased by 265 per cent since 2000.“B.C. is the last province in Canada to take this kind of action,” said Eby.He said the legislation will propose a definition for minor injury that would include sprains, strains, mild whiplash, cuts, bruises and anxiety and stress after a crash. It will not include broken bones and brain injuries, including concussions, or other more serious impairments.Eby said the average claim for minor injuries is just over $30,000, with pain and suffering payouts averaging $16,500.A new tribunal will be introduced by April 1, 2019, to resolve injury claim disputes within 60 and 90 days, he said. The current time for an average legal claim handled through the corporation is 30 months.He said the government will double the medical care and recovery cost allowance available to accident victims to $300,000, regardless of fault. Eby said the change, which is the first increase in 25 years, is retroactive to Jan. 1, 2018.Liberal Leader Andrew Wilkinson said Eby’s proposals do not lower premiums for drivers or improve compensation for accident victims.“The option is, of course, to have a wholesale re-examination of ICBC,” he said. “It’s time to re-examine the whole thing.”The corporation is a state-run model created 44 years ago by the NDP, Wilkinson said.Eby said he will announce a program to review insurance rates based on driver records within weeks. He did not say when motorists can expect changes.“The system is disconnected from driver behaviour,” he said. “We want to fix that. We want to reconnect driver behaviour with the rates they pay.”
NEW YORK — The Latest on Sears bankruptcy auction (all times local):5 p.m.A group of Sears creditors are challenging Chairman Eddie Lampert’s hedge fund’s winning bid to buy the business in a bankruptcy auction and wants to sue the billionaire and his hedge fund.That’s according to a court filing Thursday in which the creditors contend that Lampert has painted himself as the saviour of the company, but has instead made a series of moves over the years that have benefited himself and his hedge fund ESL.Sears confirmed early Thursday that ESL had won tentative approval for a $5.2 billion plan to buy 425 stores and the rest of the company’s assets, staving off a liquidation of the iconic brand.The move would preserve 45,000 jobs, but it is still subject to approval by a bankruptcy judge on Feb. 1.ESL says in a statement that all transactions were done in good faith and were also approved by the company’s board, including independent directors.A spokesman for Sears Holding Corp. declined to comment.___12:20 p.m.Sears is confirming reports its chairman and largest shareholder Eddie Lampert’s hedge fund has won a bid to buy roughly 400 stores and other assets for $5.2 billion.The move, announced Thursday, preserves 45,000 jobs and is subject to court approval on Feb. 1. Creditors will have the opportunity to object before then.The deal will then close Feb. 8.The agreement follows marathon negotiations that started early Monday as Lampert was fending off demands from creditors who were pushing for liquidation.Lampert’s ESL Investments was the only one to put forth a proposal to rescue the floundering company in its entirety. He had sweetened his bid multiple times.The Associated Press
NEW DELHI: The Delhi Development Authority Monday launched its new housing scheme online, which offers nearly 18,000 flats across four categories, officials said. The DDA Housing Scheme 2019 which opened to receive applications in the morning, has “received three lakh hits” on the urban body’s website, they said. “As many as 17,922 flats are on offer on four categories –HIG, MIG, LIG and EWS. The scheme closes on May 10,” a senior DDA official said. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderThe flats available in the four categories are –488 (HIG), 1,555 (MIG), 8,383 (LIG) and 7,496 (EWS), he said. For the EWS category, application fee is Rs 25,000 and Rs 1 lakh for the LIG category and Rs 2 lakh for MIG and HIG flats. The scheme is for sale of nearly 18,000 newly built flats in Vasant Kunj and Narela residential areas. Application forms can be accessed online on websites of 13 empanelled banks, the official said.