Another walk-off win for the Crabs

first_imgThe Humboldt Crabs recorded their third walk-off win of the summer to open their midweek series with the San Leandro Ports at the Arcata Ball Park on Tuesday night.Bronson Grubbs broke the deadlock on a fielder’s choice in the bottom of the ninth inning, driving home McCarthy Tatum for the winning run in a 3-2 victory.The Crabs trailed for much of the night, with the Ports scoring single runs in both the second and fourth innings for a 2-0 advantage.But the home team saved the best for last, …last_img read more

Continue reading

GMSA to build R200m sub-Saharan HQ

first_img2 November 2011 Lourencon emphasised that General Motors’ commitment to the Eastern Cape region and to South Africa remained steadfast. “This is a positive development and sends a strong signal about our commitment to doing business in South Africa,” he said. “We are making a significant investment in the streamlining of our organisation and establishing the right structures so that we can position ourselves for future growth.” General Motors South Africa has announced that it will be investing over R200-million in the construction of a new office block at its greenfields site at Struandale, Port Elizabeth. Commitment to Eastern Cape, SA This will also include the construction of a new engineering centre and training centre, boosting the company’s investment in its three new vehicle assembly programmes to R1.2-billion. “This is a major step forward for our company as we consolidate and integrate our operations to Struandale,” General Motors sub-Saharan Africa MD Edgar Lourencon said in a statement last month.center_img “This investment is a clear indication of our intent to improve the overall competitiveness of our business and at the same time to also ensure that we can constantly improve service levels to our customers.” The new building will serve as the headquarters for the company’s sub-Saharan African operations. It will be designed in line with the latest ergonomical and environment standards, and will offer a modern, comfortable workplace for employees. He added that following the completion of the consolidation of the company’s operations to Struandale, the company would not retain the Kempston Road property. Construction of the new office block will commence in 2012 and be completed by the end of 2013. SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

Continue reading

Pandora Will Live On: Webcasters Finally Reach New Deal with Music Labels

first_imgA Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… After years of wrangling and imminent doom constantly hanging over their heads, Pandora and other webcasters like AOL Radio have finally managed to work out a new deal with the music industry that should ensure the survival of their businesses for the next few years. Under this deal, large webcasters with revenue over $1.25 million will pay the greater of 25% of their revenue, or a fixed price per song, which will increase from 0.08 cents to 0.14 cents in 2015. Services with less than $1.25 million in revenue will have to pay 12 to 14% of their revenue.Earlier this year, SoundExchange, the non-profit performance rights organization charged with collecting royalties from satellite and Internet radio stations, was trying to get webcasters to pay 0.19 cents per song, a price that few businesses were able to pay and which could have meant the end of services like Pandora.As the New York Times reports, John Simson, the executive director of SoundExchange, still argues that the original rates would have been “appropriate and fair,” but he admits that these new rates will give “webcasters the opportunity to flesh out various business models and the creators of music the opportunity to share in the success their recordings generate.”Tim Westgren, Pandora’s founder, points out that this is not an ideal solution, but that this deal “still represents a thoughtful and reasoned outcome under the circumstances.”Some Changes for PandoraAt least for Pandora, however, this will also mean that a small number of users who stream more than 40 hours of music per month will have to pay 0.99$ if they want to hear more music on Pandora during that month. Pandora says this will only affect about 10% of its user base and those users, of course, could also upgrade to Pandora’s desktop player, Pandora One. Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Related Posts 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Marketcenter_img Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Tags:#news#web frederic lardinoislast_img read more

Continue reading

Olympic boxing: Vikas Krishan Yadav loses after winning

first_imgVikas Krishan Yadav and the entire Indian contingent were in for a rude shock as the young boxer ‘lost’ his welterweight pre-quarter final, which he had won 13:11 against Errol Spence of the United States of America on Friday night.Just as the Indian camp was celebrating the 19-year-old’s close win, came the shocking news from amateur boxing’s governing body (AIBA) that on a protest from the Americans, the decision was overturned. This was in the wee hours of Saturday, almost five hours after the bout.The AIBA competition jury went through the bout tape replays and found that Danish referee Lars Brovil had been lax as Vikas “was guilty of committing nine fouls but was cautioned only once.”The jury also said that in the second round, Vikas had spat his gum guard, an offence for which he was eventually penalised. Once that happened, Spence was awarded four points and the verdict became 15:13 in favour of the American.Early on Saturday morning, the Indian camp was preparing its protest against the AIBA decision but sources told Mail Today it may be futile.”We are also going through the tapes and will be filing a protest report with the AIBA. Only after that can I comment. We are disappointed,” said PK Muralidharan Raja, India’s acting chef de mission, who is also the secretary of the Indian Boxing Federation.The rules of boxing are very clear and since this sport always comes under the scanner at the Olympics, the protest from the Americans was quickly acted upon. As per the replays, which AIBA viewed “Vikas intentionally spat his mouthpiece” which was a stalling tactic.advertisementPart of the blame, in hindsight, should go to the referee.Before this incident, when Sumit Sangwan lost to Brazilian boxer Yamaguchi Falcao in London, the Indians protested but to no avail.For the Americans, this new result was a huge boost as all their other boxers had crashed out and Spence is their saviour.”I am obviously thrilled that the competition jury overturned my decision and I can continue chasing the gold medal I came here to win,” Spence told the media later through an email statement.”I am going to make the most of this second chance that I’ve been given. I can’t wait to get back in that ring on Tuesday,” he said.Earlier on, Vikas did look superior against Spence as he adopted a plodding style against the American.No doubt, there were times when Vikas was ‘holding’ his opponent but the referee in the ring warned him just once.For sheer entertainment, Spence looked impressive but it was not until five hours later he came to know he was going to stay back at the Olympics and not board a flight back home.For Vikas, touted as a strong Indian medal prospect, this was a sad day. He is young and talented but in the Olympics, where so much emphasis is given to fair play, the jury’s verdict is final.”In our opinion, there have been fouls committed by the American boxer too and he should have been cautioned on the same note,” said Raja later.Indian Olympic Association vice president Tarlochan Singh was more vocal in his criticism.”The AIBA jury has been influenced by the strong American lobby. It is a wrong decision,” he thundered.last_img read more

Continue reading