A native of Houston, Burnett spent 11 years in a number of roles with the Sun Belt Conference in New Orleans, and previously worked at the American South Conference and Louisiana Tech University, where he also graduated from in 1988. He and his wife Tracy have a son, Cole, and daughter, Jesse, both students at the University of Oklahoma. With nearly 30 years in conference administration, Burnett has helped to enhance the Southland’s membership with the additions of multiple universities in recent years that give the Southland 13 members in Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, including members in or near major metropolitan areas such as Houston, San Antonio, New Orleans and Little Rock. Burnett also led a successful community-wide effort to bring the NCAA Division I Football Championship Games to the Southland’s home base of Frisco, Texas, as the league has served as the host conference for the national title contests at Toyota Stadium since 2011. The NCAA has subsequently renewed the agreement twice to keep the national championship game in Frisco through the 2020 event. He also initiated the Southland’s football officiating consortium with the Big 12 Conference in 2007, a first of its kind dual program that combined singular training, observation, video review and development, a model followed by many other Division I conferences today. In 2014, the Southland became the first FCS conference to implement full-time instant replay for all football games, regardless of television coverage. “It’s been a tremendous privilege to serve the Southland Conference’s membership over this period of time,” said Burnett, the Southland’s seventh commissioner since its founding in 1963. “I am honored by the Board’s continued confidence in the terrific work of our staff that strives to assist and better our institutional athletic programs, and enhance the academic and athletic opportunities of our 4,200 student-athletes on a daily basis.” FRISCO, Texas – The Southland Conference’s presidential Board of Directors has extended its employment agreement with Commissioner Tom Burnett through June 30, 2022, the league office announced Tuesday. Burnett, who was named to the post in late 2002, recently became the longest-tenured commissioner in the Southland’s 55-year history, surpassing the term of former league leader Dick Oliver, who served in the position from 1971-1987. “The Southland Board of Directors is very pleased to provide a contract extension for Tom Burnett, now the longest-serving commissioner in league history,” said Dr. Dana G. Hoyt, President of Sam Houston State University and Chair of the Southland Board of Directors. “The presidents continue to recognize the Southland’s steady growth under his watch, including an unprecedented expansion of television coverage, the recent development of a conference-wide strategic plan, the increased quality of championship events, and improvement in the collective academic standing and well-being of Southland student-athletes.” He is also a member of the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee that manages the administrative and selection processes for the national championship event, including oversight of the Men’s Final Four. Burnett has served on 10 various NCAA committees and councils during his Southland tenure, including the Division I Committee on Academic Performance and Football Academic Working Group. He is a member of the Board of Managers for College Football Officiating (CFO), LLC, an entity created by the NCAA and the Collegiate Commissioners Association to enhance and address college football’s officiating matters. Burnett is also a member of the National Football Foundation/College Football Hall of Fame’s Awards Committee, the NFF’s Divisional Honors Court, and the organization’s Football Matters Board of Directors. He formerly served on the Board of Directors for NCAA Football, and was the FCS Vice President for the Collegiate Commissioners Association in 2007-08.
According to emails circulated to the respective franchise teams by Hela Wigmen executive management yesterday morning, they could not travel to Wabag, Enga Province, due to internal issues in their camp in Mendi.The messages further stated that they finally succumbed to forfeiture after their last minute attempt to request Enga Mioks management, through PNGNRL, to exercise understanding by moving the game to another venue, became unsuccessful.The message further stated that it had nothing to do with security reasons.According to reliable sources, a group of people from Mendi threatened to harm Wigmen players and officials if they travelled to Wabag. The group allegedly would not allow them through without sorting out customary issues with various government institutions. This was over the alleged killing of a university student in Lae recently.Enga Mioks board chairman Philip Kepson described the situation as unfortunate as his team, including the general public, were looking forward to the game that was planned to coincide with the recently introduced Agiru Cup.Kepson said though his team was awarded the two points, his management missed out on other important benefits, mainly revenue from gate taking.It’s understood Agiru Cup and the cash prize of K5000 will be awarded to the Enga Mioks.The Enga team will maintain the third position on the competition ladder with the two points. They will be on bye next week before playing Waghi Tumbe in Minz in their final game before the top five are announced.
The County Attorney of Bong, Cornelius Wennah, has disclosed that criminal activities are on the rise in the county and that the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) is working to strengthen community policing to help local security combat the menace.Speaking at a stakeholders’ mass awareness meeting on US sponsored Mitigating Local Disputes in Liberia (MLDL), held in Gbarnga on May 12, he said the rise in crime is the result of unemployment, and it has furthermore developed into increasing drug abuse in the county.The program was implemented by Kaizen, a United States based NGO.Two districts that will benefit from the first phase of the program commencing in June this year are Suakoko and Panta Kpai.Attorney Wennah on behalf of the Ministry of Justice welcomed the MLDL program in the county, but warned stakeholders not to venture around any felony case.“The coming of this MLDL program,” he said, “will stop the over crowdedness of the court and our police will not be overwhelmed with petty cases. I think, with the coming of this program, most of the cases will be taken care of by the chiefs.”He however, appealed to the Liberian government to support the county with logistics including vehicles to effectively combat the growing crime rate. Earlier the chairman of the Commissioners Council of Bong County, Mr. Claude Suah, complained about the inadequate number of police officers in the county which he says has affected every district. “Suakoko with a population of about 30, 000 has only five police officers and some of the districts do not even have any, so we hope that this MLDL program will impact Suakolo and the county at large,” he added. Bong County hosts the headquarters of the regional security hub where all logistical support is supposed to be available, but which is not, a member attending the meeting said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Angry employees of Chinese sand mining company, LICHI Inc. last Thursday stormed the Commercial Court – leaving staff and judges to seek refuge in their offices – as security officers prevented them from entering the courtroom.However, no one was physically attacked and no property damaged during the hours-long protest, security officers said.Chief Judge Eva Mappy Morgan intervened and pleaded for a conference with the group on Tuesday, January 12.The uproar occurred after the court released a bulldozer and two vehicles belonging to LICHI Inc.The court seized the equipment after LICHI failed to honor its ruling of 2015 to the tune of US$76,892, including a 6% statutory interest, in favor of the employees.The items were confiscated after Associate Judge Richard S. Klah held the Chinese company liable after the company failed to settle with the employees.The employees had supplied 4,586 loads of river sand to the company on credit for the cost of US$100,892 – at the rate of US$22 per load – under a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).The angry employees and their legal team were expected to receive the money from LICHI’s management last Thursday, but to their surprise when they appeared at the Temple of Justice the bulldozer and the two vehicles were nowhere to be found. They also did not get the expected money from the court.With this development, the employees and their lawyers proceeded to the office of Judge Klah to ascertain why the bulldozer and the vehicles were not at the Temple of Justice.They were informed by Judge Klah that the company’s management, through its legal team, had raised legal issues which needed to be discussed.As a result the employees decided to vent their anger against the judge’s decision. Some of them were heard saying: “they (the judges) have colluded with the company to deny us our money, but that will not happen, even if it were to cause our death.”Others were heard saying, “There is no justice in Liberia… we will ensure that we force our own justice,” while some threatened to go to the office of Chief Justice Francis Korkpor for redress.Though Judge Klah had decided the matter by ex-parte, following the company’s lawyers’ absence from the case despite repeated summons, he went ahead to accept the company’s request asking for proper accountability.An ex-parte decision is one decided by a judge without requiring all of the parties to the controversy to be present.The case started in 2012 when Atty. Massaquoi filed an Action of Debt by Attachment against Hua Lee and LICHI, contending that both companies were indebted to their employees to the tune of US$100, 892.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Arsenal are keen to sign PSG star Adrien Rabiot.And judging by this video, that is no surprise.
Pupils from Niall Mor walking back to happiness!Killybegs children have proved they just LOVE to walk in all weathers!Pupils and teachers from Niall Mor National School in Killybegs celebrated St Valentine’s by holding a ‘Love to Walk to School Week’ from 10th to 14th February.Under the guidance of Green-Schools co-ordinator Geraldine McGuire the whole school community are working hard to travel to school in a sustainable way as part of their Green-Schools Travel programme. The aim of the walking week was to encourage more active travel to school instead of travelling in the car every day. This benefits the environment, the community’s health and makes the road outside the school much safer.Daily monitoring by the Green-Schools Committee has recorded a significant increase in walking, cycling and Park and Stride where families are parking the car further away from the school and walking part of the way.“We were delighted to see so many parents and children walking and cycling to school this week even in the snow and hail. A big thank you to all those that made such a fantastic effort” acknowledged Lisa McDaniel, Green-Schools Education Officer with An Taisce Green-Schools. KILLYBEGS KIDS PROVE THEY LOVE TO WALK IN ALL WEATHERS! was last modified: February 12th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:KillybegsNiall MOr National Schoolwalking
DONEGALDAILY.COM is Donegal’s BIGGEST news source.And that’s thanks to all of you for logging on in your hundreds and hundreds of thousands every month.But now we need YOUR help. We want each and every one of you to feel part of what we do. Many of you do send in pictures and stories every day.And we get community notes and reports on sports matches from so many of you.Now we want even more. We want YOUR stories and pictures so that we can expand our coverage of County Donegal even further.This is YOUR donegaldaily.com. Be a part of it.All submissions from volunteer reporters should be sent to email@example.com.* Main Picture taken by Kei Patterson, Dungloe, covering the gorse fire story in May – Kei is a donegaldaily.com reader.DONEGALDAILY.COM: WANT TO BE A CORRESPONDENT? was last modified: September 11th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 But in Washington, Homeland Security Department spokesman Russ Knocke said “the intelligence community has concluded this information to be of doubtful credibility. We shared this information early on with state and local authorities in New York.” Knocke did not elaborate. A counterterror official, who was briefed about the threat by Homeland Security authorities, said the intelligence was considered doubtful because it did not reflect “on-the-ground, detailed” information. Rather, the official, who also insisted on anonymity, said the intelligence was similar to “what can be found on the Internet and a map of New York City.” The law enforcement official in New York said city officials had known about the threat at least since Monday, but held the information until two or three al-Qaida operatives were arrested in Iraq within the past 24 hours. Once the arrests were made, officials felt they could go public, the official said. Authorities are concerned, the official said, that there might be al-Qaida operatives in New York City connected to the plot. They have no hard evidence of that, but are investigating. NEW YORK – Authorities stepped up security Thursday after receiving what city officials called a credible threat that the New York subway could be the target of a terrorist attack in coming days. But Homeland Security officials in Washington downplayed the threat, saying it was of “doubtful credibility.” The threat involved the possibility that terrorists would pack a baby stroller with explosives, among other potential subway bombing methods, a law enforcement official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing. New York officials responded by mobilizing police officers to begin looking through commuters’ strollers, bags, briefcases and luggage. “This is the first time we have had a threat with this level of specificity,” Mayor Michael Bloomberg said at a nationally televised news conference alongside Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, adding that he still felt secure enough to take the subway home Thursday night. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Letterkenny man Michael McGrath has shared a message of thanks and positivity with his supporters ahead of the New Year. The 40-year-old dad spent Christmas at home with family after undergoing his first round of treatment for bowel cancer in Austria. A community fund set up in December to help save his future was an overwhelming success, bringing in over €167,000 in donations from all over the world.Michael has today closed his Go Fund Me page to donations now that his goal is reached. Thanks to over 2,000 donations from supporters and events, the teacher was able to pay for immunotherapy in Vienna. His wish to fight the disease and stay with his wife and baby son has inspired huge levels of generosity from friends, family and strangers. Michael shared this Christmas update today to thank all his kind supporters and spread a message of hope for 2018:“Hi everyone.I want to once again thank one and all from near and far for all the donations, prayers and well wishes I have received over the past few weeks. The response to my campaign has been phenomenal and it is testament to the good will of the people.I had a lovely Christmas with my family and I have not felt better in a long time. I am ready to head back to Vienna on Saturday for round two of my treatment plan. I know this will be tough going but with all the prayers and support I have behind me I’m in with a good shot of fighting this awful disease and spending the rest of my life with my beautiful family. None of this would have been possible without all of you and once again I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. As the goal has been reached I have disabled further donations for my page but I will continue to keep you all updated on my progress in Vienna.Wishing you all a very Happy and Peaceful New Year and that all our dreams will come true in 2018.Keep up the prayers.LoveMichael X”Michael McGrath closes fund with wish that ‘dreams will come true in 2018’ was last modified: January 2nd, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Go Fund Memichael mcgrathVienna
O’Hehir’s Bakery in Letterkenny has launched a brand new Asian menu, Miiwa, which is already spicing up mealtimes on the Main Street.The new menu is exclusive to Letterkenny, giving customers a taste of real Asian food with authentic dishes like Sweet ‘N’ Sour, Thai Green Curry, and a super Spice Bag.MIIWA at O’Hehir’s LetterkennyWith fresh ingredients, great options and delicious student deals, it’s time wok on up and try it for yourself. COMPETITIONDonegal Daily has teamed up with O’Hehir’s Letterkenny to give one lucky person the opportunity to WIN lunch for 2 from their tasty new menu!All you have to do is visit the Facebook post here: https://www.facebook.com/donegaldaily/Competition open until 9th April 2019.Competition: Win lunch for two at Miiwa in O’Hehir’s Letterkenny was last modified: April 4th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:asian foodcompetitionMIIWAO’Hehir’s Letterkenny