384 athletes depart for Police games in Anambra from Lagos Command

first_imgRelatedPosts Lagos Police boss preaches against domestic violence at CP’s daughter’s wedding Ogudu cell not suitable for detainees — Lagos CP Lagos CP inspects venue for CBT for new recruits No fewer than 384 athletes from the Lagos State Police Command have departed the state for the 12th Biennial Police Games holding from February 29 to March 7, 2020 in Awka, Anambra State. DSP Bala Elkana, the Police Public Relations Officer of the Command, made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos on Wednesday. He noted that the athletes would feature in 31 games, adding that they were adequately prepared to retain their position as defending champions. “Our athletes have been preparing and we are ready to retain our title as the defending champions of the 2018 Enugu Police Games,” Elkana said. NAN reports that over 5,000 police officers are expected to take part in the games. Chioma Ajunwa, a police officer, in 1996 emerged the first Nigerian Olympic Gold medallist. The late Sunday Bada, a policeman, also won a Silver medal, later upgraded to Gold at the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000 because the original winners of the 4 x 4 race tested positive to a banned substance. Esene Ikpoto, who represented Nigeria at different prestigious competitions, including the Olympic Games held in Christchurch, New Zealand, is also a police officer.Tags: Bala ElkanaChioma AjunwaEsena IkpotoLagos State Police CommandSunday Badalast_img read more

Continue reading

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger: Jack Wilshere can handle latest injury setback

first_img When Wilshere eventually returns to first-team action, he could have well missed around 1,000 days of football in total. Wenger, though, rejected suggestions that should be an on-going concern. “When you are injured and you come back, you always go through a vulnerable period, where you need to strengthen your body again, to gain competition,” he said. “I think he is young enough to get over that and I hope his body will stabilise, I am confident he will and that he can make a career his talent deserves.” Arsenal captain Mikel Arteta, who himself spent a large part of last season out injured, believes the players must do their part to help Wilshere through. “He has an enormous talent and support from every department of the club, and from the players because we feel sorry for him, and because we know we cannot waste his talent because he has an amazing career ahead of him,” the Spaniard said. “We are responsible for putting that into his head every day and do not allow him to fall down because at some stage that is the danger, that he does not believe in himself or his body and he needs to trust himself.” Arsenal travelled to Zagreb without midfielder Aaron Ramsey and full-back Hector Bellerin, who are rested. Centre-back Per Mertesacker, who was involved in a minor road traffic accident earlier this week, also stayed in London to continue his recovery from a virus. Dinamo have now not lost in a formidable run of some 41 matches, and l ast season they became the first team to go unbeaten through a Prva Liga campaign. However, the Croatians have never previously qualified for the knock-out stages, and have endured a 15-game winless run in the competition proper. Wenger said: “Croatian football produces always top level technical quality, that is their strength. “We have to focus on our own performance and to beat them have to play at our best and without speculating on any weak link in a team that has not lost a game for 11 months.” Arsenal defeated Stoke 2-0 at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday to continue their Premier League recovery. After returning from Croatia, next up is a trip to Chelsea, whose manager Jose Mourinho is under some pressure following a poor domestic start. Wenger said: “I believe that is part of our job and I would not say much more than that. “What is important is we focus on our game. You are quickly out in the Champions League if you do not start well. “We know we have a vital game and it is important we focus on that.” Press Association Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes Jack Wilshere can put his latest injury setback behind him to play a major part this season after it was confirmed the England midfielder needed surgery to fix a hairline fracture in his left leg. Wenger, who is already without forward Danny Welbeck until at least Christmas following knee surgery, moved to allay fears over Wilshere’s long-term recovery prospects. Speaking in Croatia ahead of the Champions League Group F opener against Dinamo Zagreb, the Arsenal boss said: “Like every player, he wants to play football and he is disappointed, but he has shown in the past he can deal with that. I think he was determined to do it quickly and come back as quickly as possible. “We are still at the start of the season. We are now mid-September, so after three months – mid-December – he can be back. There is still a long way to play after. ” This kind of injury is not a kind of injury which can damage your career. It is just a bone that did not heal well. “They need to put a little clip in. That is nothing major, not a career-threatening injury.” Wenger continued: ” I am not a specialist. I think this was just an accident which was not linked with his ankles. It just a bone injury.” Wenger had initially indicated Wilshere would be out for a matter of weeks, and had been pencilled in for a comeback following the international break. He said: “I am not a bone specialist, so I would not like to give too many details. I have been explained the situation, but I leave that to the medical people. There is nothing malicious in there, just a part of his bone that has not healed.” Wilshere, 23, has battled through a string of fitness issues which have halted his progress in recent campaigns. Following further medical examinations on the injury suffered in pre-season, the decision has now been taken that an operation is needed to properly correct the problem which will see a small plate inserted into the bone, and a rehabilitation time of around three months. last_img read more

Continue reading

F1 drivers split over anthem kneeling, how to fight racism: ‘Silence is generally complicit’

first_imgMORE: The new Mercedes car appearance, explainedSeveral explanations were given by drivers who opted not to kneel, most involving discomfort in how the gesture would be received.I believe that what matters are facts and behaviours in our daily life rather than formal gestures that could be seen as controversial in some countries. I will not take the knee but this does not mean at all that I am less committed than others in the fight against racism.— Charles Leclerc (@Charles_Leclerc) July 5, 2020I am very committed to equality and the fight against racism. But I believe everyone has the right to express themself at a time and in a way that suits them. I will not take the knee today but respect and support the personal choices every driver makes #WeRaceAsOne #EndRacism— Max Verstappen (@Max33Verstappen) July 5, 2020″I think there was some difficulty with some drivers and their nationality and what something like taking a knee would represent,” said Daniel Ricciardo. “The reasons why we will do is purely to support Black Lives Matter, it’s got nothing political or anything else, but there is a little bit of a fine line with some drivers and their nationalities and how it is perceived.” Lewis Hamilton, the lone Black driver currently in the circuit, was one of the leaders in the push to kneel. Hamilton and fellow Mercedes driver Valtarri Bottas also raced in all-black vehicles.Hamilton had previously said “silence is generally complicit” when it comes to fighting racism in general and encouraged drivers to speak out on their own platforms. Not everyone was on board with Formula 1’s plan to kneel during the Austrian national anthem during the Austrian Grand Prix on Sunday.Six of the competition’s 20 drivers declined the gesture, which was meant to support the Black Lives Matter movement and promote racial equality.last_img read more

Continue reading

Over $127M in rates & taxes collected during M&CC amnesty period

first_imgThe amnesty period (November 15 to December 2017) provided by the Mayor and City Council (M&CC) for defaulters to pay up their arrears in rates and taxes has seen the Council receiving over $127 million in arrears.This was disclosed by City Treasurer John Douglas during a press conference held last Friday in the M&CC boardroom. However, Douglas noted that because the money was paid during the amnesty period, the sum of $335 million was waived.M&CC Treasurer, John DouglasNevertheless, speaking on behalf of the Council, Douglas expressed a heartfelt thank you to all those rate-payers who had come into City Council and “honoured their obligation during the period of amnesty”.The money received was owed to the council over a period of two decades. The non-receipt of the rates and taxes had hindered the works of the council for several years. These included sustaining current works in the City, including drainage; road repairs; cleaning and greening of parks, gardens and open spaces; garbage collection and disposal; and enforcement of compliance with the country’s by-laws and building codes, besides public health and environmental services in all local communities.Prior to the period of amnesty, the M&CC had been owed more than $22 billion in outstanding property rates. The council is urging property owners to visit the M&CC office to pay their taxes, as this would assist in the development and sustainability of the city.last_img read more

Continue reading