PREMIUM‘The street is a blank canvas’: Street artists brighten up local communities in Jakarta

first_imgNestled under a busy road in Central Jakarta, giant and vibrant murals greet passersby at the Kendal tunnel near the Dukuh Atas MRT station.Anyone walking through the tunnel can enjoy a mural painting of a black and white “squid” monster figure with bulging eyes and teeth-like tentacles alongside an orange-blue majestic roaring lion on the walls.Created in July 2019 and initiated by the Jakarta administration, the mural was created by a Indonesian street artist who goes by the nickname Darbotz and Snyder, a German street to represent the 25 years of friendship between sister cities Berlin and Jakarta.The 39-square-meter wall at the tunnel is also painted with other murals that pay homage to old-school public transportation services in Jakarta, such as the three-wheeler bajaj (motorized pedicab) and the medium-sized Metro Mini bus, the popularity of which has start… Linkedin LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Facebook Forgot Password ? Google street-art graffiti-art artists Jakarta-administration public-space Log in with your social account Topics :last_img read more

Continue reading

Thousands leave virus-hit Wuhan as outbound travel ban lifted

first_img“Now that the lockdown has been lifted, I think we’re all pretty happy.”Government estimates have said that as many as 55,000 people are expected to flow out on Wednesday by train from the city, which was placed under an unprecedented quarantine lockdown on January 23.Some could barely contain their happiness.”I’ve been stuck for 77 days! I’ve been stuck for 77 days!” shouted one man from the neighboring province of Hunan, who was in Wuhan when it was sealed off. Long time, no see Chinese media outlets hailed the removal of the travel ban, with headlines posted on their websites after midnight saying: “Wuhan, long time, no see.”Hubei and the provincial capital Wuhan have suffered the majority of China’s officially claimed tally of more than 81,000 overall infections and more than 3,300 deaths.An announcement blaring over the train station PA system said: “Wuhan deserves to be called the city of heroes. Wuhan people deserve to be called heroes.”Despite the measures taken in Hubei, the pathogen spread across China and the world.But Communist Party authorities — who are accused of a slow-footed response and an initial attempt to cover up the outbreak — have claimed recent success in bringing the virus to heel, though questions over the accuracy of its reported case numbers persist.Its official national tally of coronavirus deaths and overall cases has plummeted in recent weeks, with the National Health Commission saying Tuesday that no new deaths had been logged in the preceding 24 hours.That was the first fatality-free day since China began publishing figures in January.Relief over China’s falling virus numbers has been tempered, however, by caution over new risks: rising numbers of infected people arriving from abroad — primarily returning Chinese citizens — and the invisible threat of asymptomatic cases.Hubei residents had been confined to their homes until about two weeks ago, when restrictions began to be eased, triggering a resumption of inbound travel from other parts of China.Authorities, however, had waited until Wednesday to allow normal traffic out of Wuhan amid continued fears in the rest of the country that people from the city pose a risk.Chinese disease-control officials said in January that the virus likely leapt from wildlife to humans at a Wuhan market that sold a wide range of wild animals for food.Wuhan authorities said at the weekend that various restrictions on movement would remain in place to guard against a second wave of infections, arguing that “even greater vigilance is needed” now that the travel ban has been dismantled.People from Wuhan also face hurdles getting out. They must show proof that their area of origin has been declared safe from the virus, and many face the likelihood of two-week quarantines in their destination provinces. The lockdown made Wuhan the first place in the world subjected to draconian containment steps now seen in many countries.It was quickly followed by the rest of surrounding Hubei province, confining tens of millions of people to their homes and cutting the province off from the rest of the world as transport in and out was halted to prevent transmission of the virus. Topics : Thousands of Chinese travellers flocked to catch trains leaving coronavirus-ravaged Wuhan early Wednesday as authorities lifted a more than two-month ban on outbound travel from the city where the global pandemic first emerged.As the ban was lifted on schedule at midnight (1600 GMT Tuesday), many passengers expressed joy and relief as they filed into Wuhan’s Wuchang station, leaping at the chance to board overnight trains heading out of town.”Wuhan has lost a lot in this epidemic, and Wuhan people have paid a big price,” said a 21-year-old man surnamed Yao, who was heading back to his restaurant job in Shanghai.last_img read more

Continue reading

Largest faction of Japan’s ruling party backs Suga to replace Abe as PM: NHK

first_imgJapan’s top government spokesman, Yoshihide Suga, has won the backing of the largest faction of the ruling party to become its next leader, public broadcaster NHK reported on Tuesday, making him a strong front-runner to become the next premier.Japan’s chief cabinet secretary and a long-time lieutenant of outgoing Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Suga is widely expected to stay the policy course set out by Abe, including the “Abenomics” strategy aimed at reviving the economy and keeping it afloat amid the COVID-19 pandemic.Suga has not publicly announced his candidacy for leader of the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) but has indicated privately that he intends to run, a source told Reuters. Media reported he would formally announce his intention to run on Wednesday. The party’s leader will almost certainly become prime minister because of its majority in the lower house of parliament. The new leader will replace Abe, who abruptly announced on Friday he was stepping down for health reasons.In a meeting on Tuesday to decide on the format of the election, LDP executives agreed to a simplified vote, by party MPs from both chambers of parliament and heads of local chapters, party Secretary-General Toshihiro Nikai said.The proposal to exclude votes by rank-and-file members favors Suga, who has now reportedly locked in support from the party’s biggest factions. But a final decision, to be made at a general assembly on Tuesday, could be delayed due to opposition from many party members.”We must elect a new leader as soon as possible to avoid creating a political vacuum,” Nikai told reporters. “There was no objection to my view at the meeting.” Topics :center_img Push for wider voteOn Monday, however, younger LDP legislators met with Nikai to present a demand from more than 140 MPs and about 400 local party lawmakers for a full-scale vote. Several local chapters including Osaka have also demanded the same.”To select the new leader, we must have a party presidential election in a form that listens to a wide range of votes,” one of the MPs said.Shigeru Ishiba, a main rival for the race, echoed those views, repeating on Tuesday that he was against a limited vote.”I think that both for democracy and for the party, this is something that should not be,” the former defense minister said on TV Asahi. Ishiba is the most popular with voters among the likely candidates but lacks strong backing in the party hierarchy.The LDP is expected to hold its leadership vote on Sept. 14.Another contender is Fumio Kishida, a former foreign minister.The reported backing of the LDP’s biggest Hosoda faction for Suga follows media reports of support from the powerful faction led by Deputy Prime Minister Taro Aso. LDP heavyweight Nikai is also supporting Suga.last_img read more

Continue reading

Radio host holds on to holiday haven

first_img109 The Strand, BulwerEarlier this year when he decided to put his share of the house on the market, Martin said he didn’t want to sell the house but his family rarely got time to use it.The property was originally bought in partnership with a friend, but the radio announcer did a complete backflip and decided to buy the lot. More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus15 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market15 hours ago“I own the whole thing,” he said.The four bedroom beach retreat has wraparound verandas, water views, and is an easy walk to Bulwer’s beach front, wrecks, and Castaways cafe/store. The bedrooms feature bunks and double beds, and there are two fully-equipped gas kitchens, two dining/lounge rooms, two sheds, an outdoor fire pit, water storage tanls, a generator and solar panels connected to deep cycle Trojan solar batteries.The sale was handled by Ray White Brisbane CBD agent Julian Gardner. Moreton Island is 40km offshore from Brisbane and can be reached by ferry, barge or boat.It is a popular camping spot and home to Tangalooma Resort, which is famous for the dolphins that come in to feed and meet guests most evenings. Triple M breakfast announcers Robin Bailey and Greg “Marto” Martin ahead of the Sunday Mail Bridge to Brisbane (AAP image, John Gass)TRIPLE MMM presenter Greg “Marto” Martin had intended to sell his share of a Moreton Island holiday home. Instead, he bought out his friend and co-owner.He told The Courier Mail that he “couldn’t let such a magic place full of memories go”.The property, known as ‘Stranded at Bulwer’, is located at 109 The Strand in the small village at the northwestern end of Moreton Island. Tangalooma Island Resort. Supplied. Dolphins come in most evenings for a meet and eat. Supplied.Attractions include the Bulwer and Tangalooma wrecks, wartime relics, the Cape Moreton lighthouse, the Champagne Pools and the vast dunes that are perfect for sand tobogganing. It is also provides a great vantage point to watch whales pass by during the migration.last_img read more

Continue reading

Boskalis to Use New UXO Detection Technology at Borssele Zone

first_imgIn October, Australian company Gap Explosive Ordnance Detection (EOD) will deliver a new system for detection of unexploded ordnance (UXO) to Boskalis, recently contracted together with Fugro to survey and identify UXO along the cable routes for the planned grid connection between TenneT’s two offshore platforms and its high-voltage substation onshore.Gap EOD said it invented the technology for Boskalis and thus helped the company win this major contract. The system, called UltraTEM, is a customised remote-operated technology that scans for buried cables and unexploded ordnance underwater. According to Gap EOD, it is the only technology of its kind, with the capability to detect all metals and scan depths of up to 3.5 metres.The EUR multi-million contract won jointly by Boskalis and Fugro has been set to commence this summer and continue for a duration of approximately two years.The grid connection of the Borssele offshore wind area will have a capacity of 1,400MW, consisting of two 700MW connections facilitated through two offshore platforms, Alpha and Beta, and four 220kV subsea cables with a capacity of 350MW each. The cables will run from the two offshore platforms to the high-voltage substation in Borssele, in the south-west of the Netherlands, via the Western Scheldt estuary.Borssele Alpha, the offshore platform which will facilitate grid connection for the Borssele I & II offshore wind project, will go into service in 2019, followed by Borssele Beta a year later. Borssele Beta will provide grid connection to Borssele III & IV offshore wind farm.The Borssele Wind Farm Zone comprises 5 sites. Borssele I & II will be developed by DONG Energy, Borssele III & IV by a consortium of Shell, Van Oord, Eneco and Mitsubishi / DGE, while the Borssele V site has been earmarked for offshore wind demonstration activities.Earlier this month, TenneT and DONG Energy signed an agreement for the realisation of grid connection for the Borssele I & II offshore wind farm.Offshore WIND Stafflast_img read more

Continue reading

Kate Hawkesby: Let’s get facts straight on the cannabis referendum

first_imgNZ Herald 7 September 2020Family First Comment:Well said Kate Hawkesby:“It’s hard when much of the information in advance of this vote is skewed from one angle only – & muddied with spurious medicinal message.”We’re trying to balance the message. Perhaps some of your colleagues could be less bias.Amidst the current blitz of pro-cannabis legalisation media – both social and mainstream – a few things are getting lost.One is balance. Where are the “vote no” stories?Two, is the facts. No, we are not voting on legalising medicinal cannabis. That’s already legal.The New Zealand Drug Foundation – pro the yes vote – has made claims that legalising recreational cannabis will make access to medicinal cannabis easier. That’s the claim. But it’s not what we’re voting on. Yet it hasn’t stopped a lot of the messaging and advertising around the referendum being focused on medicinal.Three, even the pro-legalisation campaigners accept there are risks in normalising cannabis use.One “yes-vote” columnist pointed out that “not all the facts support a rosy picture of life after a ‘yes’ vote… ” She pointed out that normalisation of cannabis use “won’t be good for everyone” and that “…legalisation probably won’t wipe out the criminal market completely either”.Despite that, her premise was that no social and health issues are “tied up in tidy bows…”In other words, it’s not perfect but let’s vote it in anyway. That’s a worrying low-bar approach to a potentially major public health issue for this country.READ MORE: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=12362658last_img read more

Continue reading

Man shot dead while pacifying altercation

first_imgNathan Diolata, a resident of thevillage, sustained a gunshot wound on the chest and was pronounced “dead onarrival” at a hospital. It was a certain “Onyok” Labordo, also aresident of the village, who attacked Diolata using a 12-gauge shotgun around 8p.m. on April 15, the report added. ILOILO City – He was trying to pacify a fightbetween two drunken men in Barangay Alcantara, Lemery, Iloilo when he was shot,a police report showed. Officers of the Lemery police stationconducted a manhunt operation against the suspect, who fled after theincident./PN According to police investigators, Diolatatried to pacify Labordo who had a heated argument during a drinking session withanother person who was not named in the report.last_img read more

Continue reading

Earlier Trade Deadline

first_imgJoe Sheehan, in a Sports Illustrated article, suggested that the trade deadline should be moved up to June 1 rather than July 31.  His reason was that after the first third of the season you know what your team needs to be able to compete.  If you can trade for those players at this time, you can use the second third of the season to improve and then the last third you are prepared to win it all.I think this sounds like a good idea.  By the time August rolls around, you may not have enough time to make the improvements to catch the leaders in your division.  Certainly after two months you know what your team is lacking, and if you can trade in early June, you still have four months to make the playoffs. We all know baseball, though, and changes come very slowly.last_img read more

Continue reading

Geneva Myers

first_imgGeneva L. Myers, 96, of Milan passed away at 2:40am, Sunday, July 3, 2016 at Ripley Crossing in Milan. She was born at Versailles on October 28, 1919 the daughter of Frank and Clara Dilk Wildman. Geneva was born while her father was serving as Ripley County Sheriff and delighted in telling her friends that she was born at the jail and lived there as well! She was married to Donald Myers of Milan on December 26, 1969 and he preceded her in death on April 1, 2015. She was also preceded in death by her parents, her brother Collins J. Wildman, and her sister Opal Wildman. After her father’s term of sheriff ended her family moved back to their farm at Marble Corner in southwestern Ripley County in what is now part of the Jefferson Proving Ground. Mrs. Myers attended the Marble Corner school and was a 1937 graduate of New Marion High School. She entered Hanover College that fall and graduated from the two year elementary teacher’s program. She taught her first year at the San Jacinto school in Jennings County and spent the next 38 years in the Milan school system, retiring in 1978. In her younger years her family attended the Marble Corner Methodist Church and as a child Geneva had the responsibility along with her mother and sister of ringing the church bell and cleaning the church. Geneva attended the final services at her church on January 3, 1941 before the proving ground took over and recalled a letter from Mrs. Roosevelt being read to the congregation. Geneva was a member of the Milan United Methodist Church, Milan Lions Club, the Ripley County Retired Teachers Association, and had served on the Milan Beautification Committee. She and Donald had also owned and operated Myers TV and Appliance Store in Milan. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, July 6th at 11am at the Stratton-Karsteter Funeral Home in Versailles with Rev. Pam Wooden of the Milan United Methodist Church officiating. Burial will be in the Marble Corner Cemetery at Versailles. Visitation will be from 9am until time of services. Memorials may be given to the Marble Corner Cemetery in care of the funeral home.last_img read more

Continue reading

Dirt Road League Basketball Results

first_imgBatesville 5th Grade Blue @ Connersville Arena               Greensburg 28, Batesville 25               Batesville 31, Jac-Cen-Del 16 The 4th graders (4-0) will participate in the Turkey Shootout at Madison High School next Sunday. The 5th grade Blue team (2-2) are off until after the Thanksgiving Holiday Batesville 4th Grade @ Batesville High SchoolBatesville 21, Greensburg 11Lincoln Garrett 6 pts.Cayden Drake 5Landon Raver 4 Batesville 6th Grade Boys @ Batesville Primary SchoolBatesville 48, Greensburg White 24The Bulldogs played excellent team basketball using 13 assists to  shoot 59% from the field in a run-away win vs. Greensburg WhiteJack Grunkemeyer led the way with 12 points and 5 reboundsConner Drake scored 8, Chris Lewis and Jonathan Buschle 6Bradley Wirth had 5 reboundsGus Prickel had 4 assists Batesville 31, Connersville 23Cayden Drake 11 pointsBrayden Maple 8Ethan Schneider 4 The Batesville 5th grade white squad is off until after the Thanksgiving Holiday.center_img Batesville 5th Grade White @ Connersville Spartan Bowl               East Central 27, Batesville 13               North Decatur 32, Batesville 15Grant Goldsmith tallied 15 pts between the 2 contests and Jake Chapman 13Alex Krekler had 11 rebounds Good luck to all teams.  Go Bulldogs! The 4th Grade Bulldogs Coach, Matt Enneking, noted good team defense in both victories at the Dog Pound. Batesville 23, North Decatur 15In a game without rhythm due to many whistles, tough defense and poor shooting, the Bulldogs escaped with a tough win over the much improved ChargersChris Lewis led the way with 7 points,Conner Drake scored 6Jack Grunkemeyer had 7 rebounds The 6th graders (7-2) will participate in the Turkey Shootout at Madison High School next Sunday.last_img read more

Continue reading